Tuesday, June 17, 2014

My Summer Road-trip - part 7 
(the super exciting part is here)
note: pictures are taken with mom's phone, my little camera, and mom's camera... feel free to click on images, including maps to see them larger. 

Hello Everyone... 

Welcome to the next part of my road trip. This is our last day on the northern part of Vancouver Island in Campbell River, B.C., and our last day out on the water with Nick.  

It was a gorgeous morning.. 


I woke up this morning ready to go, hoping that mom realizes that I am to sit in a "normal, regular" seat on Nick's boat, NOT my stroller. I am just like everyone else, and mom needs to not be so cautious. I say I am just FINE. I don't need my mask, don't need her to be extra or cautious, but just let me do my thing! 


Plus don't I look cute in my own seat?? :) 



Since today was our last day, we, or shall I say mom was really hoping for a good Transient encounter. We were wanting a good hunting show, showing us their power leaping out of the water with lots of other action. Well, it turned out to be an AMAZING encounter, but in another way. It was great to see this other side of them, and how they work together in this kind of situation.  

We came upon T90's, T100b's, T101s, T102 in Sutil Channel behind Quadra Island near the Breton Islands. They were heading south, then zig zag west and back to heading north. Or whatever directions those were. Basically, they were just all over the place keeping us on our toes trying to figure out what way they were going and where. Seem to be hunting, but doing everything under the surface. 

This male is HUGE! Look at his dorsal fin as he heads towards us. 




During that time, they did get a little frisky with a few breaches, and a spyhop that I missed. 



This one did a belly flop. 



Since they got a little frisky, active like this, Nick and mom think they might of killed something, and then celebrated. They can't say for sure since no one saw the evidence, which is fine with mom and I. :) 


Then they decided to head up into Hoskyns Channel. 



We decided to follow them, but on the opposite side of the channel.  At one point we thought they were going to go after these Seals on the rocks, but they past right by them continuing north. I am really glad they left the seals alone. They are so cute! 


They were pretty mellow, started doing long dive times and went into resting mode. We almost decided to leave, but we continued following them up Hoskyns Channel as Nick knew some action had to happen at one point. We stayed quite a distance from them to give them their space while resting and traveling. We did that quite a bit throughout the day with them. 




Several times Nick went fast and mom went ahead and let me stay sitting in the chair that I loved sitting in, and I refused to wear my mask because I didn't need it. I know when I do and when I don't.  :) 






I'm loving it! :) 




We were approaching this very NARROW passage that had a strong current flowing. Well the Orcas either had to go through this passage against the current or turn around and back track around Quadra Island which would be the long way back around.  They went for the passage. 


The males pretty much lead the group, and once they were in, they went crazy - breaching, tail lobing, double breaches, just having a grand ole time. It was EPIC! 



  






Well, the little ones just couldn't get through the current, so they turned around, which made the males turn around. They went back out into the channel (open area) and hung out there. Some of them played in the little whirlpools. 




We saw a few of the Orcas using the rocks to rub on. That was pretty cool. 



Well, about 30 minutes or so later, they decided to try the passage again as it looked like the current slowed down some. They went in and right back out, playing around again.


  
You could see some of the adults pushing around the younger ones as if they were preparing them for the passage. About 20 minutes later or so, they decided to give it another shot. This time, the males decided to keep encouraging the others to go through.  

Well, this one put its tail up like it was saying, stop, no further! 



Once it looked like they were moving forward, the males and another went up ahead and started to get a little active. Females, sprouter's, kids were trying with difficulty to get through the first part of the passage.

  

  One of the older ones porpoised, and when he/she landed, the current pushed him/her back down, so he/she turned around and went out. 


One tried to swim on its back to get through, but that didn't work either, so he/she turned around too. 


The others turned around and they left out of the passage. The males didn't have a choice, but to turn around.  


At that point they decided the passage was not an option, and they would go back the way they came to go around Quadra Island (many, many miles). There was some action as they started heading back down Hoskyns Channel. 





After nine hours on the water, we decided to head back to the docks. It was getting late anyway,  and pretty much the show was over. That was just simply AMAZING watching the males, larger adults help the younger and smaller adults trying to get through the narrow channel. And teaching them how to using the whirlpools back in the open part of the channel. You rarely ever get to see this.. 

Mom and I went back to the hotel to get ready for our departure the following morning. Stay tune for the last chapter of our Summer Road Trip.. :) 

Hope you are enjoying my adventures.. . 

Next post will be my high school graduation, a big surprise, and our move... :) 

Until next time... 

Love,
Kayla

No comments: